- Soak maasi karuvadu / Maldives dryfish powder in a cup of water for 20 mins.
- Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Heat oil in a kadai, add in the mustard seeds, black lentil and curry leaves, wait until they crackle,
- Add in the chilies and cook for few seconds.
- Add in the onion and cook until they start browning.
- Meanwhile drain the water from the soaked dry fish powder and add the soaked dry fish powder to the kadai.
- Add in turmeric powder, chili powder and cook for few mins (10 mins), until the raw smell of the spices goes off.
- Add in the grated coconut and cook until the raw smell of coconut goes off.
- Check for salt, if needed sprinkle little salt and pour in the lemon juice, cook for 5 mins.
- Serve hot for lunch as side dish. It goes out well with steamed rice and sambhar or steamed rice and rasam.
For more recipes log-into www.madraasi.com
I am MADRAASI (Deepa), a busy housewife running behind two lovely and notorious kids. I hail from TUTICORIN, the southernmost coastal area of Tamil Nadu. Cooking was like an alien language to me after marriage. Later on I started gaining knowledge by watching cookery shows in TV through which I came across Chef Damodaran commonly known as Chef Damo. This kindled my passion towards cooking. Now I am a blogger, food reviewer and product reviewer.